There are twelve Acts which informs the functions, mandate and purview of the Clarendon Municipal Corporation’s Roads and Works Department. These include:
- Parochial Roads Act
- Local Improvement Act,
- The Town and Country Planning Act and the Town and Country Planning (Clarendon Municipal Corporation) Development Order
- The Local Improvement Act (Land Subdivision)
- Parish Council Building Act
- The Pound Act
- Public Cemetery Management And Regulation Act
- Road Protection Act
- Town And Country Planning Act
- Town And Communities Act
- Town Nuisances Prevention Act
- Keeping Of Animals Act
FUNCTIONS / MANDATE OF THE ROADS AND WORK DEPARTMENT
Roads and Building (Technical Services)
- Road maintenance
- Minor water supply
- Building inspection / enforcement
- Subdivision inspection / enforcement
- Maintenance of parochial buildings inclusive of markets transportation centres and infirmary [develop maintenance plan for parochial buildings]
- Management of the Council fleet of vehicles and equipments by ensuring that all vehicles and equipment are properly serviced and maintained.
Roads (Parochial Infrastructure)
- Ensure the design and construction and maintenance of infrastructural works conform to established and approved standards.
- To develop existing cemeteries and make them economically viable
- To provide a fit and proper place in which bodies are intern.
- To lay out and embellish the grounds.
Minor Water Supplies
- To deliver portable water to areas that is not serviced by the National Water Commission pipeline.
- To harness and distribute portable water from entombed springs and rivers.
- Provide catchment and wayside tanks to communities that are not otherwise served by NWC system.
- To protect and maintain compounds on which catchment tanks are situated.
- Proper maintenance of all public sanitary conveniences, abattoirs and cemeteries under the Public Health Act.
- Maintenance of all parks, median strips and green verges under the responsibility of the Parish Council.
- Maintenance of an Animal Pound in the Parish.
- To ensure that traffic signs maintained.
- To ensure that all markings and directional signs (i.e. 'No Parking', 'Silent Zone' and pedestrian crossings) are in place.
- To implement a strategy to ease traffic congestion.
- To establish appropriate facilities for taxi and private parking.
- To effectively enforce 'No Parking' and other traffic regulations which fall under the Council’s jurisdiction.